What if I don’t have a manikin to complete the skills verification?
No worries! We will make arrangements with the student to get a borrowed manikin mailed before the video skills verification conference call. 
What is the next step after I submit my enrollment form?
The student will get an email within 48 hours with a link to their online course. This course can be started anytime after they receive the link. 
Why is my credit card not charged right after I submit my enrollment form?
Essential EMS wants to make sure we have classroom space for a new student. We don’t want to charge your credit card until we can confirm that for you. The card will processed right before your course link arrives in your provided email address.
Is EMS Safety and ASHI nationally recognized?
Yes, both are nationally recognized programs. Essential EMS is a training center that uses their certifications and curriculum. We have more than 360 approvals from federal, state, local and private agencies in all 50 states and U.S. territories.
Does Essential EMS provide certifications that are equivalent to the American Heart Association and American Red Cross?
Yes, we provide equivalent programs to the American Heart Association and American Red Cross. We follow the same guidelines set forth by the 2015 International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation (ILCOR). Our courses and certifications come from EMS Safety and ASHI.  
Does Essential EMS, LLC offer online courses?
Yes, we offer online courses and live classroom setting courses for scheduled groups, however the certifications come from ASHI or EMS Safety. We take pride in maximizing student retention through hands-on practice and testing. Hands on skill verification will be verified over video conferences for the online courses. 
What is the most common reason that students don’t pass the class the first time?
The most common obstacle is a deficiency in basic CPR and First Aid skills. This happens for a variety of reasons. It is difficult to retain information we learn about only once every two years, especially if we don’t work in an environment where we practice our skills on the job. Perhaps your last CPR instructor didn’t afford you enough time to practice on a manikin or taught you incorrect or outdated techniques. We will work with you to make sure you pass the skill and complete the course.
What is the minimum age that a person can become certified in CPR, AED and First Aid?
There are no prerequisites or minimum age to take a provider training course from Essential EMS, LLC. If you participate in the course and demonstrate proficiency in the required skills, you will be issued certification cards no matter your age.
What is the duration for each course?
The course length will vary according to class size, interaction, and the students’ needs. Course length will also vary depending on whether optional topics are taught or if the student is taking the course online.
Course Title
Approximate Hours
CPR, AED and First Aid 6.5-7 hours
CPR and AED 3.5 hours
First Aid 3-3.5 hours
BLS for the Professional Rescuer 4-6 hours
Bloodborne Pathogens 1-2 hours
Emergency Oxygen Administration 1-1.5 hours
Am I required to take the written exam?
Yes, all Essential EMS courses require a written exam.
If you are renewing your BLS certification, you do not need to complete the hands on portion. With the most recent ILCOR guideline changes, written exams are required for most of our certifications. However, we at Essential EMS emphasize the importance on the physical skills. We offer online courses, written testing is the way we keep students responsible. 
Students must pass with 70% or higher.
How long is the student’s certification card valid?
The student is issued a certification card for a 2-year period, beginning the date of the completed course.
How do I replace a lost, damaged, misprinted or misspelled certification card?
Replacement cards can only be issued by the Instructor listed on the Course Roster. Instructors may charge a reasonable fee to replace a card. Please contact Essential EMS directly with the “Contact Us” tab at the top of the page for more details.
Does Essential EMS, LLC offer Spanish materials?
Yes, we offer Spanish student workbooks and certification cards.
Under the Good Samaritan Law, what happens if a person refuses care?
If a responsive person refuses help, you should observe from a distance, call 911 if needed and wait for help to arrive. If the person becomes unresponsive, this is considered a change in condition and consent is implied.
Where can I find information about the Good Samaritan Law, AED laws and other requirements in my state?
Legislation constantly changes, so it’s important Instructors do their research to stay up to date on new requirements. Reliable resources include OSHA-approved state plans and AED brands state legislation.
Why do gloves need to be worn when performing CPR?
Rescuers should always wear personal protective equipment (PPE), including gloves, when rendering aid in order to protect themselves from transmission of bloodborne pathogens.
Can I add epinephrine auto-injectors, inhalers and medication to my workplace first aid kit?
Workplace first aid kits should not include prescription medications, such as epinephrine auto-injectors and asthma inhalers. It is the employee’s responsibility to carry these medications and/or make the workplace and fellow employees aware of their location, if the employee desires. The employer may choose to include non-prescription medications, such as antihistamines or pain relievers, in addition to the first aid kit with the intent that the employee would self-administer the medication.
What is the difference between the CPR and BLS programs?
The BLS course is for the Professional Healthcare Providers like Dentists, Doctors, Nurses, EMTs, or any Emergency Response Professionals. Additional BLS topics include: 1- and 2-Rescuer Techniques, Team CPR, Pre-Hospital and Hospital Scenarios, Airway Management and Ventilation Devices. Community CPR is a basic course to certify the general public.
What are Continuing Education Units (CEUs)?
CEUs are a measure used to assist professionals in maintaining their license. Each profession requires its own number of units per renewal.
Who needs CEUs?
Many professions require CEUs including Doctors, Nurses, EMTs, Dental Assistants, Dental Hygienists, and Pharmacists. 
What courses are CEUs available for?
First Aid, Bloodborne Pathogens, Emergency Oxygen Administration, CPR/AED, and BLS for Professional Rescuers. The hours issued vary based on the length of the course.
The Commission on Accreditation for Pre-hospital Continuing Education (CAPCE) offers CEUs to medical personnel for our BLS for Professional Rescuers course. The hours issued range from 4.5-6 hours at the Instructor’s discretion. Hours issued will be determined based on the length of the course.
Note, the student’s licensing board determines whether to accept BLS CEUs for licensing and renewal. Students are responsible to verify CEUs are accepted for the BLS course by their licensing board. 
How do I issue CEUs?
The Instructor will submit either an AGD CEU packet or CAPCE CEU packet after teaching the course. There is a $3 fee for each certificate. Most employers and certification organizations recognize the “Course Completion Certificate” as enough documentation to use as CEU (Continuing Education Hours) without the need to use CAPCE. The Completion Certificate will automatically be available to you at the completion of the course. Note: The National Registry of EMTs is satisfied with just the BLS Card.
Why do CPR guidelines change every 5 years?
The International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation (ILCOR) and International First Aid Science Advisory Board release new guidelines every 5 years based on the latest resuscitation and first aid science. New guidelines will increase the survival of Sudden Cardiac Arrest and reduce morbidity and mortality associated with medical and traumatic emergencies.
Use the “Contact Us” tab above if you still need a question answered.

Follow us on Facebook!